Saturday, August 29, 2009

What's the best phone for Google Voice?

 I've been a fan of Google Voice since I started using it in earnest back in March. I now give out my Google Voice number more than my mobile phone or my desk phone, and even have it on my business cards now. The features are great, but what I really like is that the number is truly portable: I just point the service at whatever phone, or phones, I want to use that day and my calls arrive there.    With Google Voice apps for mobile phones, I can also make calls from cellular phones that show the Google Voice number in the Caller ID displays of the people I'm calling. That is the killer feature of this killer app. But the experience is not the same on all phones. I've tried Google Voice on four different platforms -- iPhone, Blackberry, Android phone, and PC -- and one clearly stands out above the rest.
View online  | Share on Facebook
August 29, 2009
What's the best phone for Google Voice?

I've been a fan of Google Voice since I started using it in earnest back in March. I now give out my Google Voice number more than my mobile phone or my desk phone, and even have it on my business cards now. The features are great, but what I really like is that the number is truly portable: I just point the service at whatever phone, or phones, I want to use that day and my calls arrive there.

With Google Voice apps for mobile phones, I can also make calls from cellular phones that show the Google Voice number in the Caller ID displays of the people I'm calling. That is the killer feature of this killer app. But the experience is not the same on all phones. I've tried Google Voice on four different platforms -- iPhone, Blackberry, Android phone, and PC -- and one clearly stands out above the rest.


Read more to find out

Rafe Needleman
Rafe Needleman
Editor,
Webware.com
New on Webware.com
Opera 10 nears final stages
Posted by Stephen Shankland
Opera Software has completed its first release candidate of Opera 10, a browser that the company says has better performance, a Turbo mode for slow Internet connections, support for a variety of Web standards such as Web fonts, and improvements to the Opera Mail feature.  Read more 
Wikipedia to add editing safeguard for the living
Posted by Michelle Meyers
Wikipedia will soon be adding a feature to its English-language site that assigns an experienced editor to sign off on any changes to articles on living people. The "flagged revisions" feature is already active on the German site, but needs some fleshing out before it goes live to the public on the English site.  Read more 
Yahoo gets more social with Mail, search updates
Posted by Tom Krazit
This week Yahoo increased the social graces of its core products, with a nod to its new home page and a declaration that it's not done with search just yet. Popular Yahoo products such as Mail and Messenger will soon grow more social, allowing users to update their status, share photos with friends, and initiate video calls.  Read more 
Who owns transit data?
Posted by Rafe Needleman
Commuters on public transit want to know two fundamental things: when can I expect the bus or train to pick me up? And when will it drop me off at my destination? Nowadays, they may also be wondering whether their local transit agency is willing to share that data with others to put it into new and helpful formats.  Read more 
Google could be adding mortgage info soon
Posted by Tom Krazit
Add Google Mortgage to the list of potential services that might soon appear on Google's Web site. Google is supposedly going to offer mortgage information and even quotes for home loans. You can already search for home listings on Google Maps, so this would perhaps make an interesting addition.  Read more 
Big sites on little screens
Facebook 3.0 for iPhone pours on the features
Posted by Jessica Dolcourt
The third major edition of Facebook for iPhone crept into the iTunes App Store this week. It's a huge update, with numerous advanced features that make Facebook more interactive than before and which bring the app as close to the desktop experience as it's ever been.  Read more 
iPhone Yelp gets happy-hour deals, moving maps
Posted by Jessica Dolcourt
The original Yelp for iPhone was a skeleton of its online self when it first debuted. Since then, Yelp has been layering on the muscle. The improvements in Yelp for iPhone 3.0 plump the app even more, bringing both important functionality from the Web version and some mobile-friendly enhancements.  Read more 
  Related Newsletters
Stay informed on the tech topics that matter to you most

CNET offers a wide variety of newsletters on everything from tech industry news to the latest games and gear. Browse the entire list now.

Manage newsletters
Subscribe free

More Webware
 Webware RSS feed  The Webware 100  About Webware.com





Copyright 2009 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.



CNET

No comments:

Post a Comment