Friday, June 26, 2009

Need help! I lost my Windows XP admin password

CNET
View online  | Share on Facebook
June 26, 2009
Need help! I lost my Windows XP admin password

Dear CNET members,

Happy Friday! Now some of you maybe wondering why I would present a question such as Jill's on helping her retrieve or reset her lost Windows XP admin password, when it could be used for illegitimate purposes. Many people have sent in this and similar questions, and I've always debated whether to post them here, considering the possibility of illegitimate use. On the other hand, losing passwords happens and it would be shame not to open this question up, hopefully finding a solution for folks who do legitimately forget their XP admin password. So I finally gave in in hopes that people will use this information legitimately. I believe that the world has many more honest people than dishonest ones. Now let's get going.

Note: There are many members who posted recommended solutions and Web sites that offer free and paid programs to reset or recover your Windows admin passwords, but I have not used any of them; please take caution when using these suggested programs or techniques, as there are risk and no guarantees.

After reading the solutions from our members this week, it was very obvious that there are numerous ways to recover, reset, and even delete Windows admin password. Some seem to be fairly simple and some a bit more on the complicated side. Regardless, be careful when taking on these tasks, and if reading some of these solutions is beyond your computer comprehension, it's always better to seek professional advice. Of all the solutions mentioned, one site solution that had an overwhelming members' recommendation was Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, which is a Linux-based program, requiring you to create a boot disk (on another PC) that then will allow you to edit the Windows admin password. While there were many other site solutions, usually the majority wins and most often are spot on, so check that site and I hope it works. There are a lot of solutions mentioned this week, so be sure to read them all. I have picked out a few for you to get started in the Q&A section. And Jill, I hope one of these solutions will get you back into your system. Best of luck and let us know what worked out for you. Have a great weekend everyone and thanks for pitching in to help another member!

Cheers!
- Lee


Got suggestions? Send me an e-mail: messageboards@cnet.com

Lee Koo
Lee Koo
CNET Community manager
Last week's question
Need help! I lost my Windows XP admin password
QuestionI have lost my Windows XP administrative password and can't find it to save my life! Am I stuck having to wipe and reload my computer? Or is there a method I can use to reset it or bypass the log-in screen. I do not want to lose everything! Thanks for your time!

-- Submitted by: Jill W.

AnswerFeatured member solutions
for last week's question:

 "Changing the admin password "
-- Submitted by: BillTR

 "There are numerous ways to get your admin password back... "
-- Submitted by: darrenforster99

 "ONTPRE does the job "
-- Submitted by: si

 Read all member contributions

 Thanks to all who contributed!

Previous questions and answers
1. Do computer Registry cleaners really work?

2. Windows Vista updates are available, but won't download and install

3. Is there a life expectancy on external hard drives?

4. Windows system restore doesn't function

5. Help! DVD drive doesn't recognize music CDs anymore

 All previous Community newsletters
Community buzz
1. Windows 7 pricing announced

2. FAQ on Windows 7

3. I have done it all and computer is still slow

4. Difference between incremental backup and differential backup

5. Windows XP: How to use 'safely remove hardware'

6. DTV transition: Have these people been under a rock?

7. CPU cache? I need one final explanation

8. Vista 32bit: Installed another GB of RAM, but not sure about the performance gains.

 More from the CNET forums

Mac nugget
1. Switching to MAC

2. My iMac doesn't shutdown properly

3. iTunes shutting down when I try to watch TV shows

 More from the Mac OS forum
Security alerts and updates
1. Virus and spyware alerts - June 26, 2009

2. Vulnerabilities and fixes - June 26, 2009

3. Updates - June 26, 2009

 More from the security forum
Deals and bargains
1. Dell 24-inch Green LCD for $188

2. Sony Bravia 46-inch 1080p LCD HDTV $999

3. Dell S2309W 23-inch LCD full HD 1,920X1,080 monitor $149, plus free shipping

 More from the Deals and Bargains forum
Check out next week's question:
Should I upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 or 8?
Next week's questionCurrently using Internet Explorer 6 with WIN XP SP 3 Home edition. I am wondering if I should upgrade to IE 7 or the new IE 8 version. My PC was custom built about two years ago with 2GB of RAM, a 3.4GHZ CPU, 160GB hard drive. All is working well, so I do not plan to upgrade OS or look for a new PC for a while to come.

I updated XP to SP3 recently, but I did not update to IE 7 because of the problems I had heard about. And I have stayed with IE rather then another browser as IE is so integrated with MS OS and other MS software.

Would you recommend upgrading IE to a newer version? What are the benefits of upgrading to these newer versions? If upgrading, which version would I be better off with, IE 7 or IE 8? And what if it doesn't work out, can I easily revert to IE 6 again? Or should I just forget upgrading all together and continue to use IE 6? Thank you for your input.

-- Submitted by: Marty M.

  Know the answer? Click here to submit it!

Have a tech-related question?
Click here to e-mail us on one of these topics:

· PC troubleshooting
· PC upgrading
· Digital music
· Consumer electronics
· Multimedia
· Internet security
· Digital cameras
· Home audio & video

Need help tech right away? Don't wait for us, post your questions in the CNET forums for all the tech help and how-tos.
Quick pollCommunity quick poll
Weigh in on this week poll topic!
How often do you change your passwords?

(Please click on button to vote)

 Once a week.  (Why so often?)
 Once a week.  (Why so often?)
 Once a month.
 Every six months.
 Rarely. (Is it a strong password?)
 Never, I live on the edge. (Is it a strong password?)

Vote and discuss it here!
Have any of your password-protected accounts ever been compromised?

(Please click on button to vote)

 Never.
 Yes.  (Please share your experience.)
 Not sure, I better check now.

Vote and discuss it here!
Simple question, simple answer
1. How to get installation software on a CD into a Netbook?

2. Cracked laptop casing, what can I do?

3. Defragmentation utlity: Perfect Disk or Auslogics?
Help your fellow members
1. Best dual hard drive enclosure?

2. Good MP3 player with card slot

3. Is extended warranty for LCD TV worthwhile?

More from the CNET forums
 Windows Vista  Windows XP  Digital cameras
 Desktops  Laptops  MP3 players
 Home audio & video  Spyware, viruses, & security  View all forums


The e-mail address for this newsletter is techmails79758@gmail.com. Click here to manage your newsletters, including this one.

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, please unsubscribe.

Privacy statement
CNET Networks takes your privacy seriously. Because we gather certain types of information about our users, we want you to clearly understand the terms and conditions surrounding the collection and use of this information. We encourage you to review our privacy policy.



Copyright 2009 CBS Interactive Inc. All rights reserved.
CBS Interactive Inc. 235 Second Street, San Francisco, CA 94105, U.S.A.


CNET

No comments:

Post a Comment